2020 (EN)

The eleventh anniversary is dedicated to the 600 years since the construction of Brunelleschi's dome in Florence.
In the Museum, videos, images and documents on the dome are available and images, films, interviews and significant pages on the symbolic building of the City of Florence are projected.
“Brunelleschi's dome is still the largest masonry ever built today. With an octagonal base, its external diameter is 54.8 meters while the internal diameter is 45.5 meters. With this masterpiece, conventionally, the great season of Humanism and the Renaissance begins, "says architect president Michele Capasso, a scholar of Brunelleschi and the Dome.
The Dome is above all the symbol of the Universe, of its order and its beauty. For Christians it speaks of God and his reunification with men. Leon Battista Alberti was among the first admirers of the great work of Filippo Brunelleschi. The appreciations and studies on the Brunelleschi's Dome never stopped. Such is its charm that for generations the passion for understanding and explaining the 'machine' of the Dome continues to arouse lively debates among specialists.
The problem of "turning the dome" arose at the Santa Maria del Fiore Opera since 1418: invitations were made, tenders and consultations were requested, aware of the complex nature of the construction. It was a question of solving the octagon of the drum (the dome tax), inherited from Talenti, Benci di Cione, Giovanni d'Ambrogio and others, and of solving the greatest technical problem of the West of those decades. Finally in 1420 the choice fell on Filippo Brunelleschi. On 7 August of that year, construction work on the dome began to end, until the base of the lantern, on August 1, 1436. The lantern with a cone-shaped cover, designed by Brunelleschi, was built only after the death of the artist (1446) and the golden copper ball with the cross, by Andrea del Verrocchio, containing sacred relics, was placed in 1466